We help students and alumni achieve their career goals.
The Office of Career & Professional Development offers a variety of services to help you with your career planning and development, including career coaching, resume and cover letter writing assistance, interview skills training, job search assistance, internship placement assistance, networking opportunities, salary negotiation assistance and alumni career services.
We understand that the job market can be competitive, and we want to help you stand out from the crowd. Our team of experienced career counselors can help you explore your career options, develop a career plan, and identify job opportunities. We can also help you write effective resumes and cover letters, practice your interview skills, and find internships that will give you valuable experience.
We are here to support you throughout your career journey. Whether you are a student just starting out or an alumni looking to make a career change, we can help you achieve your goals. Contact us today to learn more about our services.
Career & Professional Development
By the Numbers
Data sourced from: Belmont University Class of 2022 First Destination Survey, National Alumni Career Mobility Survey and the Career & Professional Development Post-Appointment Survey
Start your journey to your future career
Career exploration is the process of testing and trying areas of interest to identify potential fits for your skills and professional purpose.
- Activate your Handshake account in the Launch Pad of My Belmont
- Check out What Can I Do with this Major?
- Join student organizations
- Begin building leadership skills through BOLD
- Build your career readiness skills
- Learn about how to build Occupational Wellness through Work WELL
- Gain experience through strategic part-time work
- Take the FOCUS career readiness assessment
Preparation is all about rehearsing and taking your first steps.
- Upload your resume to Handshake for review
- Learn how to tailor your resume & practice your interviewing skills
- Increase your on-campus involvement
- Have career conversations
- Complete internship prerequisites
- Apply for an internship and consult your internship coordinator for course credit
- Study abroad or away, participate in service-learning, missions, or volunteer work
- Review your academic plan and your career plan
Learn how to make connections in your field of interest. Gain tips for conducting outreach to alumni and industry professionals.
- Intern and gain relevant experience
- Develop your brand and practice marketing yourself
- Attend Work WELL programs
- Network and contact your Career Development Specialist if you need help – that’s what we’re here for!
- Seek industry advice/mentorship and begin researching organizations
- Tailor your professional documents and practice interviewing
- Reflect on your experiences and plan your next steps
- Stay open to new opportunities!
Strive in Occupational Wellness. Grow your relationships with professors and industry professionals. Develop your job search strategy or plan for applying to graduate school.
- Solidify where you want to begin your career
- Determine where you want to go next
- Grow and maintain industry relationships and
a personal support system
- Get involved in relevant professional associations and organizations and off-campus activities
- Apply for positions of interest
- Negotiate for what you need and accept the job offer
- Consider options for continuing education
- Complete the First Destination Survey in your Handshake account to let us know where you landed so we can celebrate with you!
- Give back to Belmont and your community
"I went in to to discuss resume advice, in turn I received much more. In the meeting I was able to help decipher what it is and what it is not that I am looking for. That was extremely helpful."