Undergraduate Admission & Auditions
Apply to the University:
Complete and submit the University application for undergraduate admission. During the application process, students will receive an email to register for an audition/portfolio review day or submit a virtual audition or an online portfolio.
Register for an Audition/Portfolio Review:
No prescreens for Belmont Theatre programs.
The BFA* programs in the Department of Theatre & Dancerequire an audition or portfolio submission. The audition or portfolio submission determines admissibility into the Department of Theatre & Dance, which is separate from the University admission decision. During the application process to the University, the student will receive an audition/portfolio review registration e-mail.
*Applicants pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Theatre & Drama, Theatre Minor, Film Acting Minor or Dance Minor are not required to audition or submit a portfolio for review.
Register for an In-Person Theatre Audition/Portfolio Review
Complete the Undergraduate Theatre Audition Registration Form in your BU4U account by choosing an in-person date.
A confirmation with details will be sent by email following submission.
In Person Audition/Portfolio Review Dates:
- November 11, 2023
- February 3, 2024
- February 17, 2024
Complete the Undergraduate Theatre Audition Registration Form in your BU4U account by not choosing an in-person date and instead of answering "yes" to the virtual audition question.
A confirmation with details will be sent by email following form submission.
Video auditions and portfolios are submitted via an online platform called Acceptd. The video audition is a prerecorded video submission, not live. All video auditions must include audio and video. Please ensure all portfolio submissions include representative work
Video auditions and portfolio submissions are accepted on a rolling basis for admission to the Department of Theatre & Dance through April 15, 2024 for incoming freshmen and May 15, 2024 for incoming transfers.
Please note the transfer student deadline for video submission is November 12, 2023 for Spring 2024.
To be considered for Department of Theatre & Dance scholarships, please submit a video audition or portfolio before February 18, 2024 (for March notification).
What to Prepare
Candidates for the BFA participate in three important processes during the audition or portfolio review for the Department of Theatre & Dance:
- Performance Audition or Portfolio Review (dependent upon emphasis area of choice)
- Opportunity to Meet with a Faculty Member
If you can attend an in-person audition or portfolio review, please bring your headshot and resume. Additionally, please be prepared to audition or present your portfolio. If you cannot attend in person, submit your headshot, resume and audition OR portfolio online through Acceptd.
Performance Auditions are required for candidates for admission to the BFA in Theatre with an emphasis in Performance.
- The Performance Audition should consist of two contrasting monologues, not to exceed 3 minutes in the total time of presentation, prepared in advance by the candidate. You are required to perform the monologues from memory.
- The audition is your time to demonstrate your ability and understanding of the craft of acting. Belmont theatre faculty observe your audition monologues and make careful assessments about your current level of skill as well as your ability to take direction and adapt your performance. We encourage you to take great care in choosing your two monologues for your audition. Choose monologues that best represent your talents and abilities.
- A portfolio for Production Design emphasis should include representative work of design, and/or technical experience. Your portfolio should contain any combination of drawings, renderings, drafting examples, CAD drawings, light plots and/or photographs.
- A portfolio for Directing emphasis should include any theatre work especially anything related to directing, assistant directing, stage management or production management. Your portfolio should contain any combination of directing books, research, prompt books, directing or management paperwork, designs, drawings, production photos or any other theatre-related materials.
- A portfolio for Theatre Education emphasis should include any theatre work especially anything related to education, directing, assistant directing, design, stage management or production management. Your portfolio should contain any combination of education curriculum packages, directing books, research, prompt books, directing or management paperwork, designs, drawings, production photos or any other theatre-related materials.
All BFA candidates’ resumes should include all previous entertainment experience including, but not limited to pertinent theatrical experience from high school, community theatre, professional theatre, experience in film and/or television and other arts-related work.
Meet with a Faculty Member
BFA candidates will have the opportunity to meet with a faculty member in the chosen area of emphasis during the in-person experience or via telephone or Zoom if submitting online. This conversation focuses on your previous experience, your expectations for your college education and your goals for the future.
Receive the Admissions Decision:
Applicants will receive a decision letter 3-4 weeks after the audition or portfolio review (dependent on acceptance to the University).
Accept the Offer of Admission:
When you have made the decision to attend Belmont, pay the Enrollment Deposit by the May 1 National Reply Date (December 1 for Spring applicants).
Information about the Enrollment Deposit is included in the University admissions acceptance letter.
Register for New Student Orientation: