Complaints & Grievances

Student Complaints
Belmont University wants to ensure all students have a positive educational experience, are treated fairly and courteously by University employees, and are provided an outlet to address circumstances that concern them.

Any student who believes he or she has been treated inappropriately or unfairly by a university employee or process may seek resolution through the Dean of Students office. The Associate Provost and Dean of Students serves as the primary coordinator of response and support to students with concerns or those in crisis. Students may file a formal complaint by emailing describing the treatment, action or decision at issue and the remedy sought.

Complaints will be investigated or referred to other university offices as necessary. Because the university already has identified several mechanisms for dispute resolution (e.g. the Grade Appeal process), students who contact the dean of students’s office may be redirected to established channels or the dean of an academic college if these have not already been engaged. A written response regarding the issue will be sent to the student who initiated the complaint within 30 days.

Complaint Procedures in the State of Tennessee
To the extent possible, students should seek a resolution of all matters through the institution’s complaint procedure before involving others. However, the student has the right to contact the state of Tennessee and its appropriate agency to determine the course of action. Complaints may be filed with the following agencies in Tennessee:

  • Complaints related to the application of state laws or rules related to the approval to operate or licensure of a particular professional program within a postsecondary institution may be referred to the appropriate agency (e.g., State Board of Education, Department of Health, and so on) within the Tennessee State Government and may be reviewed and handled by that licensing agency. Contact information may be found by searching for the appropriate division at

  • Complaints related to state consumer protection laws (i.e., laws related to fraud or false advertising) may be referred to the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs and may be reviewed and handled by that Unit. Contact information for the Consumer Affairs Division may be found at

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
Complaints regarding noncompliance with accreditation standards, policies, and procedures may be made by contacting the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, telephone: 404-679-4500.